Friday, December 26, 2008

Day 9

12/25/08

Today was Christmas here, and everyone slept a bit late and ate a big breakfast together. We had hard-boiled eggs, bananas, and hot water with jinga. Then we were driven to Bushikori; I went to the clinic and Anne and Anna went to church across the street. When I got to the clinic around 9am, they had already dealt with one boda motorcycle accident in which a boda carrying three people hit a pedestrian. The pedestrian died on the spot, the driver fled, and the two passengers were taken into our clinic. One received stitches for his wounds, the other had only superficial bruises. 15 minutes after I arrived, another boda accident victim came in. He was around 25 y/o, and fell while riding himself. He had a concussion and did not remember any of the accident. He had a dislocated hip and several abrasions along the right side of his body, on which he presumably skidded. He also needed a stitch to a laceration on this head. Yesterday while I was away, Bushikori had a patient with meningitis. They referred him to the hospital but he died last night. The lady with shingles came back even sicker than last time. It turns out she has had HIV for 3 years, took anti-retroviral medications for 1 year and 3 months (I’m pretty sure they need to be taken indefinitely) and then stopped because she was preached to and told that G-d will save her and she didn’t need any extra help. She then developed TB around 6 months ago and once again, started the meds and then stopped them prematurely. Now she is so sick that she will most likely die from infections of any open blisters from the shingles.
Another recurring theme here is the failure of patients to take prescribed medications as indicated by their doctor. Rather, they stop when they feel better and consequently, their disease builds a resistance toward the treatment and it becomes ineffective both to them and anyone they infect. I think the problem is most likely due to the inability of doctors to remain in contact with patients who often live in isolated villages without electricity, and to initial miscommunication between doctor and patient because of the numerous dialects here of which everyone assumes everyone understands perfectly.
The weather today was very strange. It heavily rained for about 45 minutes, not a hint of blue in the sky. And then suddenly it stopped and you couldn’t find a single cloud. The sun didn’t feel as strong and it was much cooler the rest of the day which was very, very welcome.
I began writing a grant proposal for Bushikori today in order to build a new building for the clinic. A British/American team of engineers and engineering students came a few months ago and drew up plans for the expansion. Now the funds are the only thing holding them back. The new clinic will have wards with higher capacities, a surgery theatre, two more laboratories, and sleeping areas for the staff who remain overnight with the patients. It should be really helpful both for Bushikori and for the people they help. I hope I can turn out a good proposal.
After church ended, I came home with Anne and Anna to a big lunch cooked by the girls of the house, Grace, Mary, and Fazi. We had matoke, peas, potatoes, rice pasta for me, avocados (they are amazing here), and freshly-squeezed mango/passion fruit juice. I’m really growing fond of the types of foods served at meals here and I hope I can bring some of the style back to the States.
After lunch Grace, Matthew and I watched WALL-E on my computer…they had never seen a fully animated movie before and I think they really liked it. I then napped for a bit, had tea with Anne (now becoming “Mama Anne”) and then dinner with Matthew, just leftovers from lunch. Then Matthew and I went to the hotel nearby to play some minigolf. It’s now 10:00pm and I am more than ready for bed. Tomorrow morning Anna and I are going to the Jewish village as they receive a new Torah. Another fun boda ride through the hills. Then off to the clinic until Shabbat which I will spend at Anne’s since the guest-house at the Abayudaya is full with visitors! That’s all for tonight. Thanks to everyone who has written comments and emails. I’m sorry if I don’t get back to you right away or even after a few but I promise I read them all! Internet is just slow and timed so it’s difficult to respond. So please keep writing…it’s always nice to hear from home. Miss everyone and I will be home in less than 2 weeks! Goodnight and Chanukah Sameach!

4 comments:

Joel said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Joel said...

Jason --I know you realize that this is an experience of a lifetime - keep enjoying it and keep writing!

Paulteam said...

Jason,
i so love reading about your journey every day. not only are you having an awesome experience, your ability to tell it over in such detail makes me feel like i am experiencing it with you. I cant wait to see all your pictures and hear more in person. Love you adn miss you tons. be safe and be good.
Chag Urim Sameach!
Love, Bat

J3Koplow said...

Jason,

Sorry we have not been writing - internet has been very spotty here in sunny Maui....we love reading about everything you are doing and can't wait to see what each day brings.

Love you,
the 3 J's